Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Wiring Questions

Im trying to wire my front crossovers, and didnt want to have to take off the door panels, extend the wires, find a place where it will fit without getting in way of window, etc. I tried to find the wires where they go into the door but there are so many of each color i gave up.

I know the tweeters are radio powered, so i planned on using the wires coming from the radio. However, there are only wires for the set, and they are the same color as the tweeter wires, but also seem to be the mid speaker's input on the amp, which has no tweeter out pass-thru or anything. Are the wires coming out of the headunit split to go to tweeter and amp somewhere?

Also, as a side question, since im using a carputer can I use one of the orange power wires to the monsoon as the remote wire, or is that not only on with ignition? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the Monsoon amp is driven by a high level signal. I had a Camaro which is a bit different than your Pontiac but I would imagine it just piggybacks the signal from the tweeter.

You can use any 12v (car) power wire that's not constant for a remote wire, though I would recommend using a resistor in line (series) just as a little protection if you don't use a dedicated REMOTE*** wire. I'm not sure what you mean by use one of the orange power wires from the carputer. Can you elaborate?

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-06-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The tweeter wiring splices from the speaker wiring under the right side of the dash. The splices go to the tweeters while the main wires go to the amp input for the mids.

You're going to have to go into the door anyway because the factory high-pass filter is inline in the tweeter wiring in the door.

The orange wire at both the radio and the Monsoon amp are battery (constant) power. The yellow wire at the radio is RAP controlled or you could use the pink power antenna wire either at the radio or in the right quarter panel.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks guys. yeah, i meant the orange power wire to the monsoon amp. thats weird because unless the faq is wrong, the monsoon has 2 constant power wires and no remote wire. Not sure how that thing works, oh well i guess i'll have to find a wire somewhere else. Thats a god point about resistors dragonrage, i'll look in at mp3 to see if I need to/what i'd need. I believe most people on there just wire anything straight to it though....

Also, can i leave the high pass filter in? Will it distort sound? I figured if there already isnt any lows coming through the line, it would do nothing at all. Maybe I should stop being lazy and take the panels off lol.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will definitely change the sound. You want to remove it if possible. Crossovers for component speakers are tailored for those speakers and will work better than a generic crossover like in any stock system.

It won't break anything if you leave it in, but you're leaving sound quality on the table if you do that.

I do not have any information on bypassing it, though, because I used my own amp when I had my Camaro.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Monsoon amp has no turn-on wire because it uses signal sensing on the audio input wires to turn on.