Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

will this work? fiberglass mtx enclosure to strengthen it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default will this work? fiberglass mtx enclosure to strengthen it?

I have an original mtx stealth box. fit's great, woofer is pretty weak. Doing some upgrades now and was wondering if I can just simply fiberglass the inside of the box to beef it up and make it strong enough to support a nice upgraded woofer with a few hundred watts going to it.

Figuring this will be a much less expensive way vs having to buy a brand new stealth enclosure from a stereo shop.

Seems like a reasonable solution. Would like to hear what of you guys that are more in the know than me think.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be strong enough on it's own to handle another sub. I've owned that enclosure in the past and put several different larger 10" subs in it. The only issue a couple of times was the cutout diameter.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

thanks! great to know. it just seemed like it may be too flimsy and buzz and vibrate. I will give it a shot. any recommended woofers for the upgrade? I am heading over to your site now to check out your rear hatch amp rack. if you can give me some recommendations on subs maybe I will order one from you at the same time.

thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

p.s. how does the stealth amp rack mount?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute on the subs as I may be getting RE Audio back in a few days. Nice subs. The JBL Power series subs are also pretty nice. Depends on what type of bass your going for as well.
As for the amp rack I mounted wood behind it using the screws for the tail lights and screwed the rack to that.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the replies.
I will wait for 2 weeks and then contact you about buying the amp rack for sure and see what you have to say on subs.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a new version alpine type r that is a decent sub and it sounded really good.