Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket head unit?

i have read the stickies and threads on this. i just want to confirm what i have read. first i can replace the head unit with any aftermarket unit with no problems? second my speakers are blown, so if i replace them also does it matter what ohms they are? third the factory amp i am assuming it is working, if i unhook or replace it what effects will it cause or not cause. i have a coustic 321qe amp rated at 320 watts,it is a 4 channell amp. its a couple of years old but it still works. could i use the factory wire's going to the speakers? or should i just replace the head unit and speakers? i did check out kee audio website, im still at a loss for choosing a head unit. i like pioneer stuff. thank's to all and any replies jim
Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

You can replace your HU with any aftermarket HU that fits. The factory unit is 1.5 DIN so you will need a mounting kit to install the more common single DIN size. You can also install a double DIN with a little work and a modified trim bezel.

It is important to match replacement speakers with the capabilities of the amp. If you are keeping the factory amp then you have limited options for the sail panels but most 6.5" component sets will work in the doors. If you aren't keeping the factory amp then you will have to rewire and you can use whatever speakers you like.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you white bird. another question here, i havent bought a stereo or such in a few years roughly 10. anyway what is out there as far as decent equipment. i always prefered pioneer head units, i never had problems. i do have a box with 2 12inch jl audio subs in there that was for my 83z. thanks again jim
Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jam: you should do well with either Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, or Sony. Kinda depends on what your specific needs are.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Jam: you should do well with either Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, or Sony. Kinda depends on what your specific needs are.
i guess i worded that wrong, im not so much looking for the newest trendy equipment. i just heard of hd radio since i moved down here. is that something i should look for along with my other things i would want? i dont own a i-pod or such, i have a ton of cd's cassettes and 8 tracks. have there been any problems with any manufacture's latley, quality issues and such. my last pioneer i bought in 1997, i had no problems with it, and as far as i know it is still working.