Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

A Few Audio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Audio Problems

This is on a 99 Trans Am:

1) My radio keeps losing power and shutting off. At first this happened infrequently, and now happens more often than not. It will stay off anywhere from a half a second to several minutes. It's completely driving me nuts. I need to fix this ASAP. The repair shop couldn't find anything wrong with the system, and I'm afraid a car audio place will try to sell me something else.

2) My antenna is broken in half. It's $400 to replace at the shop. Can I install a fixed antenna? Is there any better option?

3) I don't turn the stereo crazy loud but blew a speaker in the back. I replaced it, and three months later it was blown again with a factory monsoon speaker. Suggestions?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kellytheguy
This is on a 99 Trans Am:

1) My radio keeps losing power and shutting off. At first this happened infrequently, and now happens more often than not. It will stay off anywhere from a half a second to several minutes. It's completely driving me nuts. I need to fix this ASAP. The repair shop couldn't find anything wrong with the system, and I'm afraid a car audio place will try to sell me something else.
Search...its a BCM issue thats asked all the time. > http://www.fbodyonline.com/how-to-fi...dio-and-locks/

3) Try replacing it with a better quality speaker?

Not sure on #2, haven't dealt with that.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...Q5fAccessories

yes it will work
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy fix too is a stick on antenna that mounts like a car starter antenna by the mirror and you can remove your old one. I paid like 40bucks for one. and works great.
Not sure about your deck,,, but many things can be happening.
Does it have anything to do with where your volume is (option A) or does it happen when your music is turned down too (go to option B).
B- You could be looseing power to your deck with a loose power or ground wire, (recheck all connections at your yellow, red and black wires.)
Also check that every unused wire at the back of your deck is taped off and not grounding itself out.
A - Also check to make sure no speaker wire (+ and -) are touching together (at ether connection).
Also in each speaker in the back,, look where the connectors are,, inbetween the speaker cone and the cage make sure the little bare wire isnt hitting together or hitting the cage.
Also you may need to change a speaker if it's blown,,,, a blown speaker can shut down the internal amp in the deck.
Can you hear any cracking, spucking, poping or scratchy sound out of any of them, they you could have a blown speaker.
Ive also seen bad battery or alt. shut a deck off and amps if your car isnt charged fully,,, but i think youd seen this right away.