Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subwoofer comes and goes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subwoofer comes and goes

So sometimes the subwoofer will pound and sometimes it will not. it is definetely getting power...if i adjust the gain/hz/punch eq via the amp (rockford fosgate) then the sub will start going again for a little while then its back to nothing. I've also noticed the bass getting weaker over the last few weeks...is this a sign of a bad subwoofer?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like bad amp
Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

hmm. damn. how do i test it?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

well when i had this same problem you could see the light in the amp get weak and then the amp would like restart.

How big is the amp&sub?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuse, amp, altenator, battery in that order. either the fuse is about to go, the amp is blown, or the altenator is going out, battery is recharging system to much because somewhere its drawing too much.

i've got 2 12'' kicker cvr, 2200 watt performance tek sub amp, 2 infinity 6 1/2'' with components, 2 infinity 6x9's, 2 set of boss tweeters and 4 farad capacitor, 200 watt in dash dvd, navi, back up, ipod.,1000 watt 4channel performance tek amp. and x box. before i put in the capacitor, i would burn through batteries and a one altenator. once i got the capacitor it held extra charge for the music and that was the rest of the problem.

check those things and post back
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep Ive had a ground issue where the ground wasnt a good one,,and it would act like this. Make sure all + and - connections everywhere (at amp, body, batt. locations) are solid and no wires are pinched or bare and touching.
the amp has a protection system and can shut off if its encountering issues,,, like a sub coil blown,,, but i assume your light getting dim is a power issue and not a sub.
what condition is the batt in,,, and is your alt charging, does this happen when the car is running?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1ya
fuse, amp, altenator, battery in that order. either the fuse is about to go, the amp is blown, or the altenator is going out, battery is recharging system to much because somewhere its drawing too much.

i've got 2 12'' kicker cvr, 2200 watt performance tek sub amp, 2 infinity 6 1/2'' with components, 2 infinity 6x9's, 2 set of boss tweeters and 4 farad capacitor, 200 watt in dash dvd, navi, back up, ipod.,1000 watt 4channel performance tek amp. and x box. before i put in the capacitor, i would burn through batteries and a one altenator. once i got the capacitor it held extra charge for the music and that was the rest of the problem.

check those things and post back
The fuse is about to go? Its either gonna blow or it isn't. They don't just go bad over time, so that is out of the question. Not to mention, with your setup, you DON'T need a capacitor, and shouldn't EVER recommend one. They do virtually nothing. It might be prolonging the life of your battery, but I doubt it. Sounds like you need to do the Big 3. That is more than enough for your setup (relatively small). Also, why a Xbox?? Reminds me of the fast and the furious or something.