Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Radio Antenna

So the Trans Am I bought didn't have an antenna, so I bought one and got it all installed and wired up, on the antenna side...
The problem arises here I think, when I turn on the car or stereo, the antenna will go up just fine, great reception everything fine on this end, but it won't go back down.
Has a Sony deck in it, think its probably just the wiring harness behind it didn't have the Antenna que wire wired in? -I wasn't the one to install it, and plan on replacing it... sometime.. lol-

Other possible problems you techs can think of?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

This is a common problem caused by paint stripping off the mast and gumming it up. GM's procedure is to soak a rag in 100% mineral spirits, wipe down the mast, and turn the radio on/off. This will usually eventually clean things up.

At some point, it won't work. At that time, you'll need to replace the mast. Before I got rid of my antenna all together, I found that I could usually do this twice before I had to do the replacement.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is a common problem caused by paint stripping off the mast and gumming it up. GM's procedure is to soak a rag in 100% mineral spirits, wipe down the mast, and turn the radio on/off. This will usually eventually clean things up.

At some point, it won't work. At that time, you'll need to replace the mast. Before I got rid of my antenna all together, I found that I could usually do this twice before I had to do the replacement.

I actually just replaced the antenna... it had nothing before that.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The wiring for the power antenna is pretty simple - there are only three wires. One wire provides constant (battery) power so that the antenna can continue to lower after the ignition is shut off. Another is ground. And the third is the control wire. It carries a very small signal current which makes the antenna go up and stay up. When that signal stops, the antenna will lower and stay down. Depending on the head unit, the signal may go on and off with the radio power or it may change depending on the audio source in use (e.g. goes down when using CD).

Get a test light or multimeter and check that you have power and ground as described. If so, I would guess that you have the power and signal wires reversed - that would cause exactly the symptoms you describe. If not, trace the wires to find out why not.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The wiring for the power antenna is pretty simple - there are only three wires. One wire provides constant (battery) power so that the antenna can continue to lower after the ignition is shut off. Another is ground. And the third is the control wire. It carries a very small signal current which makes the antenna go up and stay up. When that signal stops, the antenna will lower and stay down. Depending on the head unit, the signal may go on and off with the radio power or it may change depending on the audio source in use (e.g. goes down when using CD).

Get a test light or multimeter and check that you have power and ground as described. If so, I would guess that you have the power and signal wires reversed - that would cause exactly the symptoms you describe. If not, trace the wires to find out why not.
I'll have a look at that this afternoon, I thought I had it wired correctly, aside from the ground wire, what are the colors of the two wires you are talking about? Mine are Orange and redish/darker pink

I think it might be something behind the deck, because when I go over bumpy areas sometimes the entire HU will shut off, sometimes it will come back on, other times a good... smack? will get it back on. So I think whoever installed it wired it with less than decent means, or 1 too many shortcuts.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The three colors are pink, orange, and black. Black is ground of course, orange is constant (battery) power, and pink is the control signal. Use your meter or test light to check power on the pink wire (that it's going on and off as it should). If there's a problem there it might be easier to just substitute an ignition switched source rather than try to track down a head unit problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The three colors are pink, orange, and black. Black is ground of course, orange is constant (battery) power, and pink is the control signal. Use your meter or test light to check power on the pink wire (that it's going on and off as it should). If there's a problem there it might be easier to just substitute an ignition switched source rather than try to track down a head unit problem.

Fixed it, I guess the way I've always seen the wiring harness behind the stereo was orange equals antenna remote

Last edited by Fosnot; 05-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.