Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

gauge cluster lighting help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge cluster lighting help

i have a 98 trans am. when i turn my parking lights or lights on, my gauge cluster lighting, HVAC lighting, and back brake lights do not work on my car. They all work when i lock my car with my key fob, you can see them all flashing quickly. i checked all my fuses and they all checked out. Now this only started happening a couple days ago when i flipped my fog lights on, then all of a sudden i get this problem. im assuming there is a short somewhere? any ideas on where to start would be helpful. thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I assume you mean your taillights rather than your brake lights because brake lights are separate and not related to the other circuits. I suspect you'll find that your side marker lights and foglights aren't working either. The most likely culprit is the TAIL LPS fuse. Never rely on a visual inspection of a fuse - they can be blown but still look fine. Always use a tester or replace with a known good fuse.

The lights would still flash with the keyless entry/alarm system because it provides an alternate power source that doesn't flow through the TAIL LPS fuse.

If the fuse blows again, you'll have to determine where there is a short causing it to blow. Your description would suggest that the problem is in the foglight circuit.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

upon further inspection, you sir are correct. thanks