Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hooking up an MP3 Player

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up an MP3 Player

I've read the stickies (which helped answer a few of my questions), but I have some more.

I want to hook up an MP3 player to my stock monsoon head unit. I don't have an Ipod, although I might get one sometime in the future.

I've found 2 adapters that will work with the stock head unit (cassette or 99-up CD). There is one by USA Spec (LINK), and one by Peripheral (LINK). The Peripheral is Ipod-only, so I can't really use that one.

The USA Spec has rca aux inputs and an Ipod input, so it would work for me. I have also found a Camaro-specific review (LINK), although he hooked up an Ipod.

So has anyone used either of these with an MP3 player? Can I control the MP3 player functions with the head unit?

Are there any other options I have? Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
I've read the stickies (which helped answer a few of my questions), but I have some more.

I want to hook up an MP3 player to my stock monsoon head unit. I don't have an Ipod, although I might get one sometime in the future.

I've found 2 adapters that will work with the stock head unit (cassette or 99-up CD). There is one by USA Spec (LINK), and one by Peripheral (LINK). The Peripheral is Ipod-only, so I can't really use that one.

The USA Spec has rca aux inputs and an Ipod input, so it would work for me. I have also found a Camaro-specific review (LINK), although he hooked up an Ipod.

So has anyone used either of these with an MP3 player? Can I control the MP3 player functions with the head unit?

Are there any other options I have? Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I have the USA Spec in my 2006 Grand Prix w/Monsoon and it works fine with a few modification due to my Sirius sat radio. My first unit went out and I had to send it back, but they replaced it under warranty. On older iPod models it charges along with the connection, but on the new iPods it only provides connection without charge. The iPod connector allows use of all HU controls, including the steering controls. I also used the RCA inputs and again, it works fine but all you get is the connection without any control of the MP3 player. To be honest, I mainly use the iPod controls instead of the HU control, except for volume, so if you use the RCA jacks, it should be just fine.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do this, whole lot cheaper.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html

plus it's custom and has that stealth look if you want it to.