Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

SWI PS HELP asap please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation SWI PS HELP asap please!!!

I have installed an mounted my new HU (sony cdx gt740ui) and all works well, except the pac steering wheel interface that is. I have the red connected to red, black to black, and I connected the green wire to the dark blue wire on the metra adaptor harness. I get as far as programming the swi to work with my vehicle. But when I try to program the steering controls I hit a major snag! Once I have initiated the programming mode it says to hold "volume up" until the led goes off (meaning it has learned the button-move onto the next). Then once I release the "vol up" button, the light is supposed to come back on for the next button, but it doesn't??? wtf? I called tech support- all they said was that I either

A) have a bad ground -which is weird because I was told on here to simply wire the black wires from the hu, the metra harness, and the swi pc all together and not to worry about grounding to chassis. So was this wrong perhaps?

B) i have the wrong wires hooked up? but i have it the way it states above, which i thought was correct!

Any ideas for me in this frustrating as hell experience???
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just reading some other threads (again ) and found that maybe my green wire from the pac unit needs to go to the "dark blue" wire on the original factory harness and not the one on the metra harness. I wonder if I have the wrong blue wire? Whitebird said at one time that there is NO equivelant for the dark blue wire on the after market harness and therefore must use the blue wire on the factory harness that is still in the car. So basically I guess I can't wire it ALL at home, I have to bring it down and splice that one wire while in the car?

Does anyone know if this could be my problem???

Last edited by oddwraith; 06-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is correct. You need to connect the green to ur factory hardness blue wire.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, ****! I thought that might be the problem I had the green going to the aftermarket harness (not the sony hu harness but the metra adaptor harness that plugs into the existing factory one). I never considered to run the blue directly into the "existing factory" harness that is already in the car. I had to read forever to even get the idea. Thanks for confirming this for me, now to try this again

Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Teching In

I had a similar experience, but I had to make the green wire longer because the swi ps I bought was used and I didn't splice it good enough. It drove me nuts trying to figure out what I did wrong. Once that was fixed and programmed, it wouldn't work with my head unit. Apparently I had the wrong version swi ps. You live and learn I suppose. I bought the right one and it now works perfectly. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by xJakob_00TA; 07-06-2010 at 01:01 AM.