Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon issue, help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon issue, help please

I had an iteresting problem happen when I started my car yesterday. Turned on the stereo and only the right side speakers would work. If I turned the balance to the left they would barely play. I played with the balance and fade to see if something changed but no go.

Has anyone had this happen before? My best guess would be that the head unit took a poop. If it is, I'll be pissed cause I just sold my spare head unit a couple months ago.

Thanks in advance, Paul
Old 07-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Sometimes a disconnected wire in one speaker up front will cause strange things to happen in both front speakers.

Take your door panels off and look for a loose connection.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

It's not just the left front speaker, it's the entire left side of the car which is why I'd suspect the head unit. I'd just like to confirm with someone who had a simular issue before I hunt down a monsoon in good condition.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Your car does not have a Monsoon system. If you have the optional premium 10-speaker system then all speakers except the sail panel subs are powered by the head unit. If you have the base 4-speaker system, all speakers run off the HU. So your guess that the HU is the problem is a good one. If it were the amp in a 10-speaker system then only the sail panel subs would be affected. It is always possible that there is some wiring problem but unless you've been doing wiring changes around the HU, that is not as likely as a problem with the HU itself. The HU harness connector is designed in such a way that it would likely cause more than just the loss of one side if the connection was loose.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

It is the 10 speaker system so your explanation reinforces my guess. Thank you very much