Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help finding ignition relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help finding ignition relay

I believe my ignition relay has gone bad. I was having the typical symtoms of car starting some time and not starting other times. Now it won't start at all. I would like to replace the ignition relay to see if this remedies the problem. The only problem is when I look in the glove box, I can't find the darn relay!!! Any pics or write-ups would help. This has been nagging me for almost two years!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i recall its under the hood... IMO i would suspect a vats issues
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The ignition relay is in junction box #2 under the hood on the left fenderwell (the box is the one closer to the front of the car).

However, I agree with pentavolvo... it is more likely to be a VATS problem. Is the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster on or flashing?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Teching In

The instrument cluster looks normal. No flashing securtiy light. Could you give me some info on the VATS issue. What is the fix for this issue??
Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

VATS is the GM acronym for Vehicle Anti Theft System. It is part of the Body Control Module (BCM). It is intended to prevent hot-wiring the car by checking that the original key is in the ignition cylinder. It does this by checking the resistance of the pellet in the key against its programmed memory value. If they don't match, the starter relay is disabled and the fuel enable signal to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is shut off preventing any fuel flow to the engine. When a non-matching resistance value is found, the BCM lights the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster. When no resistor pellet is found (infinite resistance), the BCM flashes the SECURITY light indicating a missing or broken key.

VATS can be bypassed by inserting resistors of the correct total value into the circuit to simulate the original key being in the ignition cylinder. This is very inexpensive (less than a couple of dollars) and reasonably easy to do.

If the SECURITY light is not on or flashing then it probably isn't a VATS problem. It could still be a BCM problem - for example, a loose connector could create the same symptoms.

Beyond that, it could be any of the usual (and unusual) suspects for a car that won't start. Your first steps in diagnosing depend on whether the engine is cranking without starting or not cranking at all (i.e. starter system problem vs. engine problem). There are all the usual culprits - battery, starter, starter drive, fuel supply, spark, and even the ignition relay. But starting with replacing the ignition relay as a random attempt to fix the problem is not a good idea - especially since a bad relay would cut out while driving just as easily as while starting yet you haven't experienced engine stalling.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Teching In

WhiteBird00, your response gives me more clarity. My security light is not lighting up or flashing. When I turn the key the car does nothing. I'll start with the VATS, if that doesn't fix it, it's off to the dealr. I know I'll get raped on the price, but at this point I have no other options. Thanks for all your help!!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if security light isnt on then maybe it is the starter relay, its under the hood
Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

wheres that starter relay at?
Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's in junction box #2 on the left fender wheel housing under the hood.

Quick Reply: Need help finding ignition relay