Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is This Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is This Possible?

i was thinking the other night... trans am lighting sucks and the headlights are giant wind catchers on the highway but regular HIDs in the for housings are too crappy to drive with just them on. is there and projectors that are big enough to fit in the fog light slots? i would wire them up so they would work as my headlights and just undo the motor for the flip ups.
i just need something that will look good and i was thinking bi-xenon projectors just incase i ever needed highbeams.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-upgrade.html

look at the pictures half way down. One of the guys has a set up that looks like it could be used as headlight.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

and your purpose of doing is why??
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It would be illegal to use the foglight positions for headlights. Federal standards and almost all state laws require headlights to be mounted a minimum of 24" above the road surface. And this is not one of those "I can get away with it" situations. The car would look so much different from other vehicles at night that police would be pulling you over constantly.

Also, even if you could get away with it, you would have to mount the lights much farther forward in the foglight opening because otherwise the light wouldn't spread to both sides - they'd be more like spotlights.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just figured this would work better than my eurolamps and I really don't feel like paying 500 for the bls kit
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You know, for all the whining and complaining I hear about how terrible the factory lighting is, they really aren't that bad. Certainly they are much better than what we had in the '70s and '80s.

HID lighting can be much better if properly designed for the car and as close to the yellow end of the color range as possible. Replacement or upgrade kits (all of which are illegal) are better at producing glare than usable light - especially with higher color temperatures. What many people unknowingly equate to better, more powerful light is actually just more glare - "they look very bright so they must be better". In many cases, the extremely blue HID light kits actually produce less usable light than regular halogen bulbs.

That being said, have you checked the kits discussed here? They are halogen but they fit and work better than the stock sealed beams without being illegal or producing unnecessary glare.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

there actually nothing wrong with HIDs in our headlights...i have them on my head and fogs for my camaro and head and fogs on my 4Runner...i love them..both vehicles have the same colors too...6000k for head and 3000k for fogs...its a nice combination...plus im never bothered by cops with them