Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hatch speakers stopped working after sail panel sub replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hatch speakers stopped working after sail panel sub replacement.

When I bought the car, the previous owner had replaced the 6.5 subs with Kenwood 3 ways. He did this by splicing wire in from the hatch speakers. He left the passenger side hatch speaker in place, but completely removed the driver side. The splice job on either side was the same. All 5 existing speakers functioned.

I replaced the hatch speakers first, now all 6 existing speakers functioned.

I just purchased new 6.5 subs for the sails. The old Kenwoods were wired this way. 2 new spliced wires from the hatch speakers pulled to the sail area. The, I assume it was negative wire, the one going to the small plug on the speakers, was also spliced into the, I assume it was negative wire that went to the original Monsoon subs. This was was spliced together using a wire nut. So, 3 wires went into the wire nut, 1 from the rear hatch connection, one from the original wires that plugged into the sub and the wire going to the speaker itself, for the negative side only. Positive side was just a regular splice of 2 wires.

I clipped and removed the spliced wiring from the speakers and repaired the sail wiring. Plugging the new subs in, they worked fine.

Now, the hatch speakers I had not touched at all. The only thing I did was clip the 2 spliced wires and taped them up seperately, temporarily. Testing the system, I then found that the hatch speakers no longer work, either side.

The headunit is a Pioneer, one of the 1.5 din models from about 2000. I replaced the factory Monsoon headunit about the same time I replaced the hatch speakers.

Does anyone have any idea why all 6 speakers worked before I did what I did, but not after I set the speakers and wiring back to stock configuration?

This is in a 1999 Z28.

Last edited by Elthesh; 08-19-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, whatever powered the rear hatch speakers in the amp was dead. This must have happened years ago and was why one of the wires from the rear seat speakers was spliced into the wires pulled from the rear hatch. Apparantly, this got the rear seat speakers fully functional and the hatch speakers functional. I'd guess only one of the wires from both speakers was dead, negative or positive, I don't remember which.

At least this explains why there was such a weird hackjob going on back there with only one of the 2 original hatch speakers remaining before I replaced both of them. Instead of either diagnosing the problem and replacing the amp, factory or aftermarket, the person just did a weird splicejob.

I picked up a replacement amp, exact model number and all, and everything sounds great. and yes, I REALLY did notice the lack of the hatch speakers. With the system back to stock configuration with aftermarket hatch and subs, it sounds really great.