Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing monsoon HU and AMP in 98 camaro back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing monsoon HU and AMP in 98 camaro back to stock

I have a 98 Z/28 camaro. When I got the car the head unit had been taken out, so I decided to buy a used monsoon off ebay. The add said for a 2002 camaro and it says monsoon on it.

Anyway, I pulled off the dash panel and all the connectors plugged right into the back on the monsoon HU. The unit powers on, and seems to play a CD and find radio stations. However, I had no sound.

so I removed the passenger panel that hides the spare tire and factory amp and found the amp had been removed, and the wire spliced into. Looks like they cut into the factory wiring harness and had spliced in some type of harness. It was labeled L Front, R Front, L Rear, and R rear.

I just want to get my stereo working. So do I need to removed the splices, match up the factory wire colors, and buy a used monsoon amp?

Guessing he had a system and removed everything before I bought it. I didnt see any RCA's ran so he could have spliced in a line level input or amp harness?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

So if I wanted to bypass the amp just to have sound, I could splice the speaker input/output wires from the wiring harness to the large blue connector.

Also, the would the proper monsoon amp for a 98 be UZ7, if I wanted to replace it? I saw one on ebay and the connector was blue and seemed to match what was in my car.

I don't remember, but nothing else said monsoon on the car except the head unit right.? I'm sure that most z/28s had the monsoon setup from what I remember.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

*Edit* Still learning the monsoon setup, my appologies for anything incorrect here.

Last edited by SparksAI; 09-01-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparksAI
http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/deh12e.htm
at $79 you have a brand new head unit, FM RDS, Detachable face, and a front aux input so if you wanted to connect a MP3 player you could. Whichever way you go good luck and I hope you get some sound soon. Riding without music can really suck some times.
I looked at other head unit options, but my car is more of a streetable race car and I wanted to keep the stock look to the interior other than the 6 point wolfe cage. So I picked up a nice 2002 monsoon HU off ebay.

Looks like I'm going to try the UZ7 option monsoon amp because it has the same connection like my plug ( large and light blue) to be safe. Less than $50 bucks shipped unless I find one local.

I just want some basic tunes since I drive the car several days a week and to the track. Plus the factory monsoon amp doesnt seem to add much weight.

I was reading the later model monsoon HU could control other devices, and mine has an AUX button on it, so I would really like to have a small bluetooth unit or a simple input jack for my blackberry to stream tunes.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Monsoon head unit is just an ordinary Delco radio with an extra label on it. It has speaker level output so you could run your speakers directly from it if you don't want to buy the amp. All Monsoon amps are not the same... Camaro is different from Firebird and convertibles are different as well. UZ7 is the Monsoon option code for Camaro coupe so that eBay amp should work for you.

It sounds like the previous owner didn't want to take the time to run new speaker wiring so he spliced into the wires coming from the head unit at the amp connector. If the amp connector is still intact, you should be able to just plug in a replacement amp and it will work. Of course, that means making sure the right types of speakers are installed. The amp powers subs in the sail panels and components in the doors so if the previous owner installed coaxial or some other full-range speakers, it won't sound very good off the amp.

Quick Reply: Replacing monsoon HU and AMP in 98 camaro back to stock