Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what/where is antenna mast ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what/where is antenna mast ??

I purchased a 99 trans am that had a non working power antenna (it stays in the up posisition) When I would turn off radio or on there was a loud noise in the back like the motor was working but the antenna would not move. I performed a search that said to put mineral spirit on the antenna mast. Is that the antenna itself or is it attached to the motor on the inside of the car? I even ran a search on ebay for trans am antenna mast and it looks like the entire assembly........
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the passanger side trunk plastic where your spare is located & then remove your spare. You'll have full access to it.

When mine messed up I ripped that turd outta there & replaced it with a standard non-electric antenna post & Bitviper antenna.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The mast is the visible portion of the antenna - the part that goes up and down. Cleaning with mineral spirits gets the road grime off the surface and out of the joints where it may have been causing binding when the antenna retracts.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea, you wipe down the part outside of the car but.... if your mast has been sized for a long time, you've probably stripped the plastic rack attached to the mast. You will probably need to get a new mast from a GM dealer and replace it. (Your motor sounds like its still good.)