Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subthump box & jl 10w6

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default subthump box & jl 10w6

i've been thinking about this combo for awhile now. i want it to sound good but my only concern is if the box will be big enough for the sub by the means of displacement. will the sub be able to hit to it's full capabilities?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the jl stealthbox and it came with a 10w3. i dont believe the 10w6 is capable of fitting because if it was jl would have put it in there. but the 10w3 still has a good punch. i upgraded to 2 12" kenwoods and the jl hit just about as hard
Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i've been battling back and forth with the idea of the w3 or w6. i originally was leaning towards the w3 but thought that i would upgrade it. probably just end up going with the w3.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wasnt dissappoined at all with my w3 the hatch of these cars make everything much louder than say a truck. i had it hooked up to a 450w alpine amp
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option you may consider is the RE Audio SEX10D4. They work great in smaller air space and are a higher excursion woofer than the W6.

If you want to go with the W6 you should still be ok with your Stealth enclosure. JL recommends .65Cu Ft, the Subthump enclosure provides .6 and the subwoofer displaces .068, meaning you will be running at .532 Cu Ft. Not optimal but still within very acceptable limits. Just don't go shoving polyfill in the box.
Here are the JL enclosure recommendations
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?series_id=6
Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparksAI
Another option you may consider is the RE Audio SEX10D4. They work great in smaller air space and are a higher excursion woofer than the W6.

If you want to go with the W6 you should still be ok with your Stealth enclosure. JL recommends .65Cu Ft, the Subthump enclosure provides .6 and the subwoofer displaces .068, meaning you will be running at .532 Cu Ft. Not optimal but still within very acceptable limits. Just don't go shoving polyfill in the box.
Here are the JL enclosure recommendations
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?series_id=6
Why not put polyfill in the box? I thought it was supposed to make a box seem bigger than it is?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 PM
FormerVendor

Polyfill IMHO is a last resort option for dealing with small enclosure space. If it shifts and blocks the vent of the sub it can over heat it and kill the sub, also knowing how much space you are providing is very difficult to tell. You can do it but most people get overzelous with it. Remember insulation is insulation, it holds heat and heat is the enemy of electronics, even subs. I'll use paper backed insulation to remove airspace from a box but too add t to it is just something I don't like recommending.

Quick Reply: subthump box & jl 10w6