Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help Guys! Ignition Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Guys! Ignition Lock Issues

Whats up fellas, i havent been around much but i need some expert help and i know no other place, now ive searched on google but i cant find any later model pics or info.

So heres the deal, i have a 99 SS M6, VATS enabled, so when i bought her the ignition worked fine however i could pull the key out in either position, which didnt reall bother me but if i left the key out for a little while the security light would come on and eventually the car would shut off, anyway thats not the issue, for some reason the other day i was coming home and i pulled into the driveway and i tried to shut the car off and the key wouldnt turn to off, so right now its stuck in the on Position, and luckily i can turn the key to start and everything but i cant turn it back past on so i have to stall out the engine to shut it off and disconnect the battery, so heres my question, could anyone point me in the right direction or maybe give me some directions on how to remove the lock cylinder and replace it? Thanks in advance guys
Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

1. Remove the steering wheel
2. Insert the ignition key in the cylinder but leave in the lock position
3. Remove the ignition lock retaining screw
4. Disconnect the ignition contact connector from the wiring harness
5. Disconnect the retainer that holds the contact wires from the lock housing cover.
6. Pull the contact wire harness up through the steering column
7. Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the side of the column
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

with pics - https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html