Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Odd Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Odd Security Light

The security light on my dash illuminated the other day while I was on a long drive. (It came on in the middle of the drive while I was on the highway.)

The light went off when I shut the car down and never came back.

What do you think? Was this a VATS fart? Should I be worried about being stranded at some point? (I know my key is getting worn down and have a new one on stand-by.) Anyone come across this before?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I know that if the light comes on at any time other than when starting the system recognizes it as a malfunction. It leaves the light on to let you know the VATS has malfunctioned but it won't prevent the car from starting. Your case may be different because the light has subsequently gone out so the system is basically "back to normal". You may experience a problem starting if the system has trouble with your key prior to getting the car started... keep that spare key handy or just start using it exclusively to avoid the problem.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Thanks. I'll probably just go to the new key to be safe.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Read through that. If the VATS circuit detects a fault but the fault goes away for a minute, the light goes out to indicate there is no longer a problem. My guess is you have a broken wire on your ignition cylinder, and it is intermittently making contact. A new key alone will not fix this.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Read through that. If the VATS circuit detects a fault but the fault goes away for a minute, the light goes out to indicate there is no longer a problem. My guess is you have a broken wire on your ignition cylinder, and it is intermittently making contact. A new key alone will not fix this.
Good point. I figured it was the resistor loosing contact at some point, which could be anything in the line. I recently was mucking with my steering column and may have left the VATS connector loose or pulled on a wire too hard.