Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front speaker suggestions for this amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front speaker suggestions for this amp?

I'm running an Alpine MRP-F300 amp and I wanted to find the speakers that would match the best with this amp. How do I go about matching them?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrp-f300/
Old 05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd get a set of 4 Ohm speakers for a better damping effect. Do you intend to use the amp as a 4 channel, or bridge it and use it as a two channel?

Then just look at the RMS rating of the amp in that mode, and find some speakers that you like the sound of that can handle the rated power.

You can get into a whole discussion about "bright" amps paired with "warm" or "neutral" speakers or vice versa, but really that's probably something better suited for a mobile audiophile forum.

As far as brands and sound quality... everyone will have an opinion and I doubt you'll find much agreement. So many brands exist because they all appeal to someone.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be using the amp as a 4 channel, and I just ordered a set of tweeter pods so I will need a pair of speakers with a separate sub/tweeter setup.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Alpine type S sound good, or polk DB series
Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just received my tweeter pods, just haven't decided on a set of speakers.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bunch of speakers that would do well with that amp. I agree though there are several good speaker manufacturers out there and it is kind of like chocolate, there are many companies that produce it and it all tastes pretty good but they do vary slightly. Even a company like Alpine produces several levels of speakers and even though they are from the same manufacturer they are all slightly different tonally, not just power handling.
I have used so many different speakers it is really kind of rediculous how many times I have changed speakers. I always like the CDT's, Boston (although I blew 2 drivers up which is why I went to the CDT's), JBL, some JL Audio, Alpine Type-R, Hertz, to name a few of the ones I have used and liked alot.
Over the past 4 years I have consistently been happy with the results I have gotten with CDT which is why I use them so much. I also like the Hertz but they are extremely pricey and were for a customers car but they sounded phenomenal. I also really like the Boston set I had but over time they could not handle the abuse I put them through.