Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

odometer,radio, power hatch inop..help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odometer,radio, power hatch inop..help

Just trying to help a buddy out. He has a 98 T/A that has the above issues.Fuses ok, I'm sure it's all related but before I dive into it I fiqured if I can get any ideas here. The radio doesn't even power up so I know it is not locked.Gauges work but odometer display is out. Also the traction light stays on. I'm wondering if it is related to the BCM. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is unlikely that the problems are related - not unless you have a bunch of other symptoms as well. For example, the radio is powered through the retained accessory power (RAP) circuit in the BCM but the power windows also run off the same circuit. If the BCM was causing the radio to not have power then the windows wouldn't work either. The hatch release is controlled by a ground signal from the switch to the BCM which is fed by the COURTESY fuse but that fuse also protects the interior lights. The odometer and traction control systems are not related to the BCM in any way nor do they share any common circuitry.

I think you're going to have to do some old fashioned troubleshooting. The radio power problem should be trivial to diagnose. For the hatch release, check to see if you get 12V on the brown wire in position D4 of the 32-pin connector at the BCM when you press the inside hatch release switch. That will tell you if the BCM is sending the hatch release relay signal as it should. BTW, if this is an M6, check that somebody didn't do the stupid mod of unplugging the DRL module to disable DRLs - that also disables the hatch release (I say "stupid" because there are other ways to disable DRLs without side effects).

The other problems will probably involve more digging. The odometer problem is probably caused by something in the cluster whereas the TCS problem could be switch, control module, wheel sensors, etc.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, that'll give me a good start.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would check the plugs on the bcm, i had a short in one of them and caused a lot of weird **** like that... all seemed unrelated..