Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird electrical problem. Stereo and windows, no power.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Weird electrical problem. Stereo and windows, no power.

I'll be driving in my 00 Z28 and the stereo randomly turns on and off and when this occurs, I lose power to my windows.

All my dash lights appear to be working, even the electric locks.

The cutout is wired into the fuse box and that still works as well. I can't remember which fuse it's wired into though. All i know is that it was unrelated, like the horn or something.

Basically, what could be causing this, is there a certain area where these wires could be tied together like a common ground. Pretty sure the stereo ground is behind the stereo, the only thing I can think of is, that these two power wires could be shorting out somewhere.

Maybe there is a better way to wire to cutout? It's been awhile since I did this, but I swear i unhooked the cutout sometime last summer and the stereo still turned on and off.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a common problem with the BCM, theres a solder joint that gets brittle and cracks, theres an easy fix for it, search around for "BCM Fix"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright awesome. Anyone know if it's really necessary to remove the glove box?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe you just open it and push in on the sides and it comes out, I never unhooked my BCM just pulled it out of the case and soldered it in the car, the whole thing only took a few minutes
Old 06-26-2011, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone. Only took about a half hour to remove it and redo the soldering. Stereo didn't turn off once tonight, so I think I'm good to go. PM me if you have any questions, but it's pretty straight forward.