Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing power antenna motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing power antenna motor?

I have a 2002 Trans Am with T tops and the Monsoon stereo; power antenna is now working intermittently & grinding when I turn the radio on so I'd like to replace the motor. Is it best to find a used one on the site? Or is this part still available new? I'd like to keep car as close to stock as possible, didn't want to buy the 'universal' power antenna from O'Reilly's when likely someone here has run into same issue. Where do you guys recommend I begin? Any insight/direction appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

it is available from the dealer new.........about 180$
Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

No, you don't need to replace the motor - probably.

The long running problem with these is the antenna sheds paint and seizes up. Being in IL, like I am, you are exposed to road salts, which make the problem progress faster.

If you can get the mast all the way up one time, you can try GM's published fix. Take a rag and wet it with 100% mineral spirits and wipe down the mast. Retract it, extend it, and repeat the wipe down until it looks like the mast is operating smoothly.

If you are too far gone for this, you can replace just the mast and save over $100. (If you hear grinding, the motor is working just fine.)
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mast broke on mine, I just replaced the whole thing with a universal power antenna from Best Buy for $70. It looks better and is quieter than the stock piece IMO.

Quick Reply: Replacing power antenna motor?