Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

93 Camaro w/ BOSE - Loud hissing.. few other questions too

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Camaro w/ BOSE - Loud hissing.. few other questions too

My 93 Camaro came with the BOSE setup. I swapped the head unit for a nice Alpine, and swapped the front speakers for a pair of 6.5" Type R's. I'm getting a loud hissing noise at all volume levels (even at 0), and it was there even before I swapped the speakers, when I just had the Alpine installed. Also it seems like the treble is way to loud. cymbals ect almost hurt your ears.

Any ideas what it could be or where I should look?

Ok and what are you guys doing for the front speakers in terms of mounting and dealing with the BOSE? Do you just use the factory mounting ring and remove the BOSE amp from it? I just cut the +/- and plugged in the Alpine's. Are you supposed to bypass the BOSE or what do you do? Currently they aren't amped but I will be adding a Alpine speaker amp pretty soon.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I am always surprised when we get people who buy equipment to upgrade their audio and then do some research to find out what they need.

The Bose system in Camaros is completely different from Monsoon or aftermarket systems. It has a unique head unit that produces low-level, high-impedance signal for either three or five speakers (depending on model) that have individual amps attached. But more important than that, they use common ground rather than floating ground... the speaker ground is at the same potential as the chassis ground. This is the cause of your hissing noise - basically you installed a floating ground aftermarket system using the common ground wiring designed for the Bose system.

One solution is to buy yourself a PAC OEM1 adapter to convert the output of the head unit into the low-level signal the Bose amps expect and then connect your aftermarket speakers to the Bose amp outputs.

The other solution is to rewire so that you either run your new speakers directly from the HU or from an amp you add to the system. Depending on how far you want to take your upgrade, this might be the better choice in the long run because it gives you lots of upgrade options and eliminates the Bose wiring completely.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get an aftermarket amp used for pretty cheap, so I'd really suggest you go that way if you cared enough to swap the head unit and speakers.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

I've got a MRP-F300 Alpine speaker amp, just haven't added it yet. So the hissing will go away once I wire in the speaker amp and bypass the BOSE?

Dude I didn't buy the speakers THEN do research to find out what I needed. I had this stuff left from my other car. Why does everyone have something slick to say? I asked for help.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it will work better than the Bose amp. Premium stock systems are usually a bit tricky, and Bose ESPECIALLY so.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

Sweet. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: 93 Camaro w/ BOSE - Loud hissing.. few other questions too