Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub "dustcover" fix question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub "dustcover" fix question

Howdy! I have a 10" Stage 3 Rockford sub

starting to give me some trouble. I was noticing some nasty sounding vibrations (I was scared I'd already blown a door speaker) but traced it back to my sub. I'm convinced it's the dustcover mounted over the cone.

A small section of it is starting to come unglued and vibrate like a bad alarm clock. I've heard I should use some silicone substance to fill the space & glue it back down. I think it comes in a tube like caulk. Does this sound right?

Forgive my lack of knowledge to sound equipment maintenance. I'm definitely a noob in this section. Please post pics of any product I could use to fix this problem. Thanks all! Cheers.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use CA glue found at hobby stores. There is a rubber enhanced CA glue that can be purchased for about $4.00 to $5.00 and Hobby Lobby carries it if you have those stores in your area.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit: Nevermind; I was wrong. I thought this was actually a flat cone sub as it looks just like them. However, it looks difficult to remove that thing. I don't know if it can be done without removing the surround, and once you do that, good luck getting it aligned. If it stops right where the surround begins then you might be able to carefully remove it with a pen knife. Just replace it with a traditional dust cap if so... they're super cheap. I bet that thing is hurting the sound quality of this sub, anyway. It's clearly for show.

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea....but it is pretty!! lol!!
That dust cap actually comes just to the edge of that surround so you may be able to get ahold of it without too much problem.