Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Component Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Component Speakers

Have a couple of questions about component speakers. First off, what purpose does the crossover serve? Second, if I were to replace the stock speakers (which are components) in my daily driver, how would I go about wiring them. I do have an aftermarket Kenwood head unit. Same question applies if I were to run a basic 2 channel amp to them. I know a decent amount about car audio as far as head units, subs/amps and replacement speakers, just have never messes with components before. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Monsoon system used components mostly has a means to drive more power to the front channels. The factory crossover on the front channels was really just a simple high pass filter (first order in engineering terms). The camaros use separate amp channels from the monsoon amp for tweeters (at the expense of the sails), while the pontiacs used the amp channels from the HU for the tweeters rather than having that power "left on the table".

Aftermarket components use a much better filtering module and generally use much better materials than standard two way speakers. Most aftermarket applications don't drive the mid-bass and tweeter with separate power sources like the monsoon system. If you're using the monsoon amp, I'd say just wire up your new components the same way as the OEM speakers to take advantage of available power. If you're using an aftermarket amp, use the provided external crossover module for a better filter since you probably have more than ample power compared to the monsoon anyways.

Two way speakers use simpler, smaller crossovers that can fit on the speaker assembly itself, usually just a simple first order high pass like the monsoon uses. the crossover modules included with aftermarket component speakers are too complex to fit on the speaker assembly. Speakers generally sound better when a high pass and a low pass filter are applied, as the midbass won't try to play frequencies they fail at, etc.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crossovers send the high frequencies to the tweeter and the low frequencies to the woofer, etc. If you sent the high frequencies to the woofer (the stock system does!) then it will sound bad because woofers suck at treble. If you send the low frequencies to the tweeter (stock system does have a high-pass to prevent this to a point, but it's a CRAPPY cheap filter) then you will blow the tweeter in two seconds.

With aftermarket speakers, hook the crossover's input to your woofer wires and tape off the tweeter wires - don't use them at all. Never try to reuse the stock tweeter highpass filter with aftermarket speakers.

Quick Reply: Component Speakers