Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

guage cluster and light flickering when at around 6k rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default guage cluster and light flickering when at around 6k rpms?

Ok well first off my car is an lt1 body with an ls1 conversion. About a month ago i started to have a little voltage issues with my car where it seemed like the voltage was dropping with exceleration. And i dropped 4-6 tenths in my quater mile times at the track, went from a consistant 11.8 @115 to 12.2's -12.4's @ 112-113.

So i purchased a 220 amp high output altinator from power bastards. ( i had seen a link on a different ls1tech page for the altinator.) it is brand new and have had it tested and it tests fine. I also did the big three upgrade, new coil packs, and different battery and was still had what looked like low voltage on my guage. so i bought an auto meter voltmeter and it read different than the voltmeter in my dash. Dash was reading 13.0-12.5 after warm up and during exceleration and the auto meter was reading 13.5-14.0 and wouldnt drop with exceleration. So i thought the dash meter was broke.

So i took the to get tuned again and it didnt seem like anything was wrong with car . took car back to the track and got it back down to an 11.9 @ 114 but now when i get to about 6k rpm, all my lights flicker like a power surge, my voltage goes up and down, my tack flickers from 6000-6700 back and forth so i dont know what rpm im shifting at, and the mph guage flickers as well. Dosent feel like the car is surging while im racing, just looks like all the guages are power surging.

im not really good with electrical so thats why im posting on here to see if anyone can help. thanks for reading
Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 323 Likes on 296 Posts

If this happens only at a certain high RPM, it must be something rotating. If your alternator tests fine, I'd put my money on something belt related.

If you have a good belt and your tensioner marks show the proper tension, you may need to upgrade to a more stout tensioner to handle your increased loads. If not, it could be as simple as changing the belt.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check major grounds.

I had a loose battery ground and it was making my radio and interior lights randomly flicker. New battery strap fixed it.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
If this happens only at a certain high RPM, it must be something rotating. If your alternator tests fine, I'd put my money on something belt related.

If you have a good belt and your tensioner marks show the proper tension, you may need to upgrade to a more stout tensioner to handle your increased loads. If not, it could be as simple as changing the belt.
Now that u say that my belt did just start squeeking so that would make sense. Thanks man really appreciate it
Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

might try an underdrive pully too, you'd see a gain out of it as well. If its alternator related it would drop the revs on the alt.. and make everything last longer'; while giving you more power.
win win

Quick Reply: guage cluster and light flickering when at around 6k rpms?