Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Simple Question - Speaker Grille Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Question - Speaker Grille Removal

I recently purchased a 2001 Z28 with the Monsoon system. The speakers all seemed to be blown in some way or another, except the passenger side sail panel.

I have had very bad luck with GM installation clips. Whether it's door panels, speaker grilles, dash bezels, it always seems that I have to break one to start to remove pieces and once I see what they look like and how they attach, I am able to remove and install.

I have speakers on order and will get them in another day or so for the sail panels and the rear hatch area. Simple, cheap, stock replacements - nothing fancy.

For this install, I am hoping to know in advance how to remove these grilles without busting the mounts. Anyone know how these are attached and the correct way to remove them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Teching In

The door speakers you have to take the door panels off to get to them.
The sail panel grills you just kinda pinch them to remove. They have some tabs that fit in slots and are flexible.
The rears may be the same way but I have not tried those yet (only ones I have that haven't blown yet)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For the back ones I just pulled my whole panel, The passenger side has the spare tire so there are clips that you turn and it will come off. If it remember right the speakers will then turn out of the slot they are in to come out and you install the new ones the same way There is a little notch in the plastic that holds the speakers tight if I am remembering correctly. The drivers side panel is just push clips so grab the panel and work from the back forward just pulling on these clips. And like posted above the sail panel are just some tabs holding the grills in and the door you have to take the whole panel off its kinda a pita but when you get new speakers in it will be well worth it.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. Hopefully armed with a little knowledge of how they come out, I can keep from busting the mounts.

According to UPS.com, the speakers will arrive today.

Thanks.