Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon stolen; replacement ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon stolen; replacement ideas

The Monsoon head unit and rear CD unit (wires cut) and DVC sail panel speakers were stolen. They tried to get rear speackers, but couldn't since the rivets messed them up. Good thing they didn't just take the rear panels. I put my old Rockford Fosgate (25x4) head unit in. It sounds ok, but no deep bass and one of the door panel speakers is iffy. Now the help,I can get a pair new DVC subs from Pontiac for $85. How do they really sound with the aftermarket head unit? I hate to spend the money if they won't sound good. I also have a 10" bazooka laying around that could be added. Is there any problem with leaving the DVC sub wiring disconnected? Is there a problem with getting a 7" sub 4ohm with only one voice coil and leaving the other coil lead unused (these are $10 each)?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy crap, someone actually stole a stock monsoon???? idiots, sorry about your loss man
Old 03-11-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Start with a real alarm
Old 03-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

wow ive never heard of anyone jacking a monsoon..........
Old 03-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Teching In

Focus....focus...stay on track.

I have formulated the following plan:
1. Install the 10" Bazooka using line-level inputs taking feed from one of each sub DVC speaker wire line. I believe that this allows the amp to turn itself on.
2. Install front door component system and run off of headunit. Wire Bazooka to run off front RCA input. Replace (if impedience mismatch requires) rear speakers with a 5X7 set.
3. Replace Bazooka with 10" sub placed in rear driver side quarter panel.

Guys,I have a confession. I just simplified the situation for an easier read by simply saying the monsoon parts were stolen, without getting into how. I just bought the car about 3 weeks ago. The stereo was stolen while on the previous owner's watch, but he didn't tell me about it. Legally, I was told that he was not required to disclose unless the car itself had been stolen. I did'nt really listen when buying (It appeared fine for the hour test drive and inspection). It wasn't until after I owned the car that I realized the stereo installed sounded terrible at louder volumn. Turns out he tried to replace with original, but missmatched parts and had to double butt spliced the radio connector to reach a different year radio, left out the CD player and put single voice 10ohm speakers in the sail panel. I also decided to just eat it because most anybody would have done what he did, and it would have worked fine if not for it having been the dreaded monsoon system. At least I had an extra head unit and subwoofer collecting dust. But, I'm still using the factory alarm system and common sense on where I leave the car.

Originally Posted by SSTAR
wow ive never heard of anyone jacking a monsoon..........