Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head ligths are dim on one side??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head ligths are dim on one side??

So, My car is a **** wagon. UGH. I replaced a damaged headlight assembly and I didn't bother with unhooking my Battery. and had to rewire one side's head light motor (not the side dim). For some reason the previous owner decided to cut that wire because on of the head light assembly's were busted.

Got the new one in and worked great. but now it's dim. Put a new light in it and still dim.

I suck with wiring. Don't even get me started on how much I know about wiring. I think it's a fuse. prove me wrong?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's not a fuse. It's probably a bad ground. When lights wired together on a single circuit (like headlights or tail lights) don't have a proper ground, the circuit will ground through the other lamp filaments causing them to be dim. You really need to test the sockets with a multimeter or test light and if you're not comfortable with working on wiring then you might want to get some help with that.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It's not a fuse. It's probably a bad ground. When lights wired together on a single circuit (like headlights or tail lights) don't have a proper ground, the circuit will ground through the other lamp filaments causing them to be dim. You really need to test the sockets with a multimeter or test light and if you're not comfortable with working on wiring then you might want to get some help with that.
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just have to have someone with more knowledge on the matter to check it out.