Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

replacement speakers 02 ss

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default replacement speakers 02 ss

my right front speaker in the door is going out.
I am not current with car audio these days, what's a good replacement for speakers and where should I get them from?
I'm ok with replacing both front speakers, and would consider replacing more speakers if it's worth it and the cost is not too high. And the head unit barfs cd's sometimes, it's been good lately, so I would also consider a whole system replacement.
The system is the stock monsoon 500 watt with amp and 8 speakers.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently did a budget upgrade, it doesn't take much to really wake up the stock system. I also had the CD-barfing issue you mentioned. Basically, it'd randomly decided whether or not it wanted to read a disc.

Anyways, I bought a Kenwood DPX-308U double-din unit, a double-din bezel from DoubleD Mods, and a pair of CDT 6.5" 6L-CMSUB speakers for the sail panel. Very nice full range of sound, bass has VERY strong presence (it'd be nicer if road noise wasn't so bad), and with doing all the install work myself I think it ran me about $425 when all was said and done. The treble from the factory speakers isn't really a huge problem, it's the bass, so get a nice head unit of your choice and those CDT subs and you'll be in for a treat on a budget.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your definition of good and what's your budget?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my definition of good is at least as good as the stock system when new.
I listen to FM radio 50% of the time, and the cd's i have are of ripped stuff so the quality isn't there to begin with. I don't need it loud, and I don't need lots of bass, just decent sound.

i looked up some speaker packages at crutchfield, whether they would fit or work with current head unit i don't know. They had a budget speaker pkg for $99 and mid-level for $149. For all 8 speakers I would do $149 without thinking, for all speakers i would do up to $300-400. Over that then it's eh.

I'm not crazy about the look of head units, I like the plain simple look of the stock AC delco. But if I get a new head unit I think I would do a 2-DIN size and either cut the current bezel or buy a new bezel. I don't want a tv there with a lot of flashing lights and ****, just plain lettering, in red if possible.

in the faq: "
Camaro coupes have component 6.5S 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the doors (they look like ordinary coax speakers but are actually wired as separate components), single voice coil 6.5S 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, and 4" 4-ohm full-range speakers in the hatch area."

I don't really know what this means, and I don't know what to look for in replacements. Do I need "single voice coil" speakers if that's a type of speaker in the sail panel? Or can you put different types of speakers in the doors/sail panel/hatch and make it sound better? **** like that i don't know.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 10-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Monsoon FAQ has all the information you need about speaker sizes, configurations, and impedance (BTW, they are not all 2-ohm). One of our sponsors, Kee Audio, has a complete speaker package for under $300 that will sound and last better than stock and will match the factory wiring configuration - including the coaxially mounted component sets in the doors.

Quick Reply: replacement speakers 02 ss