Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrade time??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade time??

OK i just got my new Sony CDX-M630 head unit and now i am looking to replace my speakers in my 98 camaro i found a couple that from reviews seem to work good with my year and are easy to install just don't know which one would b the better choice of the two, also i looked in my back today and seen that someone along the lines took the monsoon amp out so im just wondering what you guys think i should do there get another monsoon amp and just hook it up or just don't worry about it or any other ideas. thanks here is the two speakers ive checked out

Pioneer TS-D1702R coaxial speakers (non-sponsor link removed)

http://www.epinions.com/review/Infin...t_443712769668

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-04-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unless you have a base 4-speaker (non-Monsoon) system, I don't know what reviews could possibly suggest coaxial speakers are a good replacement for the factory speakers. The Monsoon system uses a combination of component speakers and subs that coaxial speakers can't replace. It's not that they just aren't the best choice - they will actually sound pretty bad.

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section and then contact our sponsors Kee Audio or DOUBLEDMODS for better options in replacement speakers.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, does anyone have any ideas about what i should really do about my monsoon amp?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most aftermarket coaxials will actually be a bit better than stock components. All you need to do is hook them up to the woofer wire of the car, which is full range. I wouldn't bother doing an upgrade if it weren't significant, though.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Most aftermarket coaxials will actually be a bit better than stock components. All you need to do is hook them up to the woofer wire of the car, which is full range. I wouldn't bother doing an upgrade if it weren't significant, though.
Oh? And what would you do for the sail panel subs? Coaxials will sound like crap there if using the factory wiring.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by DBShocker
Ok thanks, does anyone have any ideas about what i should really do about my monsoon amp?
It depends on what kind of system you want to end up with and how big a budget you have.

It is quite possible to use your aftermarket head unit with the Monsoon amp and wiring so that just a speaker replacement/upgrade will give decent sound. Of course, if you want more then using an aftermarket amp and rewiring gives you lots of options at a somewhat higher cost.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Oh? And what would you do for the sail panel subs? Coaxials will sound like crap there if using the factory wiring.
I wasn't talking about those. Besides, I don't even recommend sail panel speakers at all. Fronts + stealthbox only.