Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

budget speaker build

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default budget speaker build

My buddy is looking to replace his speakers inside his 99 328i bmw, he doesnt want to spend too much and will have to get someone to install them. Him and i have no idea how to wire speakers to a after market hu. So my question is what brand speakers and tweeters should he get?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick internet search yielded this (non-sponsor vendor site):

1999 BMW 328i Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram.

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Red/White
Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Purple/White
Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Radio Illumination Wire: None
Radio Dimmer Wire: None
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: White
Radio Amp Trigger Wire: None
Front Speakers Size: 5 1/4″ Speakers
Front Speakers Location: Kick Panels
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Orange
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Black/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Orange
Rear Speakers Size: 4″ Speakers
Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Black
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Black/Orange
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Black
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Orange

1999 BMW 328ci Car Stereo Wiring Harness (without amplifier)
1999 BMW 328ci Antenna Adapter Harness

Rockford Fosgate R142 and R152 are their budget "Prime" line speakers in those sizes. Everyone can argue over value for the money but these are some cheap two-ways that work and sound decent for the price. There are lots of options.

Honestly, if all you're doing is replacing speakers with no re-wiring for an external amp or whatever, this should be pretty easy... but I never claimed to be a BMW expert.

Talk to Dennis, I bet he'll hook you up with those or recommend something just as good or better.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never touch Rockford speakers at any price, personally. Same with Kicker, Bazooka and a lot of other brands I see here.

Budget speakers? Boston Acoustics... or Polk. CDT does have some inexpensive speakers that are probably similar as well, but the only CDT products I have are a couple QES-1220 subwoofers, so I can't personally vouch for it.

I don't know what size speakers his car takes, though. Keep in mind that you need to consider depth as well as just the mounting diameter. German cars tend to mount speakers in very weird ways, also... such as the AWFUL, AWFUL, WTF idea of mounting a speaker to the door panel/card instead of something structural.

By the way, I would also recommend adding at least a little bit of CLD (RAAMMat, Secondskin Damplifier, Dynamat, etc.) to the doors.