Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kee Audio Mini Amp - Replacement for Monsoon Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kee Audio Mini Amp - Replacement for Monsoon Amp?

I was searching the Kee Audio website and found this amp
http://keeaudio.com/audioipe.html

Its basically a small amp that has a 80x4 @ 2 Ohm Rms rating.

Would this be a good upgrade for the stock monsoon amp for the guys like me that dont want to do a entire rewire and replace everything audio related.

I already have the sail panel speakers from kee audio and im about to order the doors so Im into the monsoon compliant speakers already and want to find a way to improve on the system.

Also, could I run a separate sub with this amp at the same time as powering the doors and sails?

Im kinda old school when it comes to audio. I like the look of the factory head unit and dont need alot of bass or loud highs. I just want to find a way to make my car sound similar to my factory boston acoustic stereo in my Chrysler 300C (well maybe better, but you get the idea)

Last edited by 99wssixm6; 01-02-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added sub ?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Installing any kind of aftermarket amp is generally going to require a complete rewire. There are no plug-and-play replacements for the Monsoon amp. Besides, it's an 8-channel amp that takes speaker-level input and uses signal sensing rather than a remote turn-on wire. That's a pretty unusual combination to find in the aftermarket.

To use the amp on Kee's site (or any aftermarket amp) you would have to get line out converter(s) to step down the speaker-level output of the head unit to pre-amp level and you'd have to run new wires from the amp to the speakers. And for that you gain maybe 80 watts total - not even a single click of the volume ****.

Try the Monsoon amp once you have the new speakers installed then determine if you need more. Maybe you'll like it (many people do) or maybe a sub would be all you want to add. But if you decide it isn't enough then go the whole nine yards and do a big amp and all the necessary rewiring.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you,

I was hoping you would reply with your informative factual information.

Quick Reply: Kee Audio Mini Amp - Replacement for Monsoon Amp?