Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

in-cabin power distribution block

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default in-cabin power distribution block

The factory passenger compartment fusebox is kind of a PITA to get to. Have any of you guys ran a single decent-gauge wire into the cabin into a custom built power distribution block/center for the various electronics (not JUST stereo) within your car? My idea was to use a single 10 or 12ga wire and then route it into a PDB inside a project box, and then hide it somewhere under the dash (like in front of the console or something) and use it for various in-car electronics, separate from the stereo.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I ran three separate wires from the three fuse taps (IGN, ACCY, and BATT) in the fuse panel to a small aftermarket fuse panel behind the dash below the radio. That way I had easy access to three 15-amp circuits for whatever accessories I wanted to add. The three circuits each have power under different conditions - ignition switched, constant (battery) and retained accessory power - for flexibility.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I ran three separate wires from the three fuse taps (IGN, ACCY, and BATT) in the fuse panel to a small aftermarket fuse panel behind the dash below the radio. That way I had easy access to three 15-amp circuits for whatever accessories I wanted to add. The three circuits each have power under different conditions - ignition switched, constant (battery) and retained accessory power - for flexibility.
Do you have any pictures of the finished install?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry, no photos. I didn't think anybody would be interested.

Quick Reply: in-cabin power distribution block