Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Amp Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Amp Questions??

I have a 02 SS. Stock Monsoon system. I had a blown speaker and it didn't bother me enough to get a new one. But, now my entire sytem feels like it has 50% less power. Can this be due to the blown speaker? Or are the amps on these monsoon sytems p.o.s?? I want to keep it all stock or replace just the speakers and amp. I don't want a after market HU. Any info will help! I'm not a stereo guy. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have any suggestions??
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

not many electronics guys on lately it seems...
first i would check if the amp wires are all properly inserted. sometimes a portion of the wire can escape (especially from spirited driving )
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 AM

If you have already replaced the speaker than you probably replaced it with a 4 ohm speaker. The monsoon system requires a 2 ohm speaker and i have been told from an audio shop when i was shopping for my speakers that if you put a 4 ohm speaker on the monsoon system, it's not near as loud as it should be because it's set up for the 2 ohm. You'll have to shop around for a 2 ohm because a monsoon speaker from the factory is outrageous. That's from what i hear anyway.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 AM

And yes...they are a p.o.s. for that reason imo. I have also read on other forums that you can take 2 wiring harness kits for an aftermarket cd player and they'll plug right up to the plugs that go into your amp and then wire them color to color and make your own bypass kit. But then again, i havent done this myself yet because i havent gotten around to replacing all my factory speakers.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by timboo04
If you have already replaced the speaker than you probably replaced it with a 4 ohm speaker. The monsoon system requires a 2 ohm speaker and i have been told from an audio shop when i was shopping for my speakers that if you put a 4 ohm speaker on the monsoon system, it's not near as loud as it should be because it's set up for the 2 ohm. You'll have to shop around for a 2 ohm because a monsoon speaker from the factory is outrageous. That's from what i hear anyway.
You should find a different audio shop.

Yes, replacing 2-ohm speakers with 4-ohm will cut the power in half - all else being equal. However, cutting the power in half does not result in half the volume - it causes about a 3dB drop in volume (about one click of the volume ****). And since the factory speakers are quite inefficient, any good aftermarket 4-ohm replacement is going to be at least 3dB more sensitive resulting in no loss of volume at all.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: Monsoon Amp Questions??