Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

anyone make their own mirror mount for radar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone make their own mirror mount for radar?

dont really feel like spending the $25 or 30 for a mount would rather do it myself. just lookin for ideas on what you used and how it turned out. Also would you recommend hard wiring it to the mirror wires or all the way down to the fuse box.

thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd recommend modifying a bracket to conform to the windshield and stick it to the glass using the same fastening material used for the iPass, eZPass, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-All-Wea...=pd_sim_auto_1

That way, you can easily remove the radar detector when you realize that everyone is moving to lasers around Chicago.

Generally hooking accessories up to things like interior lighting is bad. You could get complications with interference. You can run a wire across the headliner and down the A-pillar and over to the power sockets in the dash. (If you don't want to go all the way over to the fuse box.) Those circuits are arranged to have accessories hooked up to them.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info for now i just zip tied it to the mirror arm and put some velcro on the on the top of the detector and some on the mirror flip switch its actually very solid haha might just keep it that way.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 AM
Banned

gorilla duct tape brah
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the metal bracket that goes into the detector and epoxied it to a mirror mounting button that glues to the windshield... I also ran a wire from the mount down the a pillar to the fuse box. Did it 3 yrs ago in the southern heat and it still staying strong
Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what it is...

Quick Reply: anyone make their own mirror mount for radar?