Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Drivers side sail is soldered on??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side sail is soldered on??

My drivers side sail panel speaker is blown and rattling, sounds terrible. I have an extra 6.5 to put in but for some reason the speaker is soldered onto the speaker wire?? How do I get that stuff off without breaking the connection?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried heating the connection with a soldering iron, and removing the molten solder with a "solder sucker"?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

I just did mine and it had a connector mounted on the speaker that connected to the car's harness. The speaker wires were soldered to the connector.

You could use a soldering iron to heat the connector and pull the wires free or cut them leaving a short piece so that you can remove them after prying the connector off the speaker. Then solder the new wires to the connector and hook it to the harness.

Todd

Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Is there something I can catch the solder with other than a sucker or a peice of copper?

Could I use a wet towel when I desolder it or does that sound like a bad idea
Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't have a de-soldering tool, and since you mentioned the speaker you want to remove is "blown" (not supercharged, I assume...), just heat the terminal with a soldering iron, and give the wire a firm tug.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Heat up the solder until it is liquid then pull the wire off the terminal. It should be easy. You don't need a solder sucker.

Do the wires go to a connector to allow you to remove the speaker from the car (like the pic above)? It would be much safer to have the speaker lay flat on a table in front of you instead of juggling it in the car. that way you don't have to worry about balancing the speaker & iron and you don't have to worry about where the molten solder slips to (ex: on you if you are juggling this in the car --- that would burn/hurt).

If you are going to solder these wires to the new speaker, apply some solder to the new terminals first. Then solder these wires to the new "tinned" terminals. This will make the connection faster and stronger.

That is unless the new terminals are like the spring terminals in the pic above, then you don't need to solder.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Sounds good thanks!! Gonna do it this weekend

Quick Reply: Drivers side sail is soldered on??