Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Isolation Question ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Isolation Question ??

hooked up my new charging system in my 99 and came up with a problem . Here are the basics of the charging system .. I have a stinger 1700 batery in the back and a excide gell cell up front , the alternator is a hi ouput powermaster and was installing a powermaster 904 200 amp 3 post isolator..

The problem ive learned is that the LS1 style alternators , and in my case the replaement hi powers one is a "CS" style , i learned this the ahrd way tracing down a lack of charge problem.. As i understand it our alts "fbody" will not kick out any voltage unless it sees a charge from battery .

Ie on a atandard isolator when alt connect to alt post and battery to battery 1 post no charge comes out of alternator ,, but when you connect the alt to batery cable or touch to battery terminal one , the alt fires up and kicks out great voltage.

I would like to use the 200 amp isolator i now have and am looking for a way to use it , I could jumper alt post to bterm 1 i guess but i dont know if this is a good idea or if i shoulld return the isolator and get one that handles a cs alternator , which seems to me to be same thing just has a "excite " wire or harness , anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to use current isolator or what to do i would appreciate it