Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Swapping Head Unit - How long should install take?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Swapping Head Unit - How long should install take?

I have a 99 T/A (w/ Monsoon) and I am swapping in a Pioneer HU today I ordered from Crutchfield. I have the wiring harness all hooked up and the antenna adapter already in place. I have the trim piece and the mounting sleeve. I think I have everything I need, but I haven't disconnected anything yet. How long should I expect the install to take so I can plan my day? The wiring adapter from my HU is already wired up to the wiring harness I received and should be plug and play. Any tips would be great as I have never swapped a HU before. Thanks in advance for anyone's inputs.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never really timed it, but it seems I am doing other stuff when I swap out the HU. Maybe an hour I guess. Maybe 30mins just depends on how particular you are about putting wires together and making everything nice even though you don't see everything back there daily.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a first timer, give yourself 2-3 hours just because it always takes longer than it should that first time. After the first time, maybe 30 minutes, if that. Once you realize how easy it is, you'll wonder why you even worried about it.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably the most time consuming part is cutting the plastic brace material in front of the defrost duct, if your new HU has more depth than the Monsoon HU. If you've already made your harness adapter, it shouldn't take long.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

if u have the quick connect harness not that much bro like 10-20 min if u prewire the quick connect harness before u install
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Please tell me you either solder/heatshrunk or Butt-Spliced the New HU and Adapter harness and didn't twist & tape method?!?!?

As for the physical swap, should take an hr at most, even for a first timer given the adapter harness is assembled.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pre-wired (butt spliced) before I started. Start to finish install took 20 minutes. Sounds great too! Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Swapping Head Unit - How long should install take?