Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo shuts off when i go over 15 with the volume

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo shuts off when i go over 15 with the volume

I need some help on figuring this out.. i bought a 98 dodge ram single cab.. everything was stock, so i upgraded its sound system... i got a JVC kd-s28 head unit, i replaced all the stock speakers with pioneer 6x9 in the door, and 5 1/4 on the back, i got 2 kicker cvr 10s in a box with a kenwood KAC-8105D. And the first few days it sounded awesome, till a week ago it started shutting off every time i turned the volume over 15 then it come back on but if i dont turn it down it keeps shutting off. i checked the amps ground connection and its good. so now i dont know what is causing it to do that.. so if any of yall know what this can be and how to fix this let me know.... thanks..
Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Full disclosure: I know nothing about the sound system in a Dodge.

Is there an OEM external amp that HU sends signal to?

What you're describing sure sounds like a thermal protection fault in an amp. Something gets hot (too much current for the size of the conductor), curls a little bi-layer strip of metal in a main power path, breaks the circuit until it cools off and the metal strip lays flat again to conduct current again. It acts like a fuse but you don't have to replace it.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a speaker might be connected wrong. If u used the correct wire harness it should not be a power problem. So it's a wrong wire connected on the speakers or wire is grounding
Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM

thanks guys for your help.. after taking the HU out and making sure all the connections were on their place. and they were..... the only thing that i think was causing it is that the ground cable from the HU adapter was touching the HU frame and was too hot.. but anyways the thing is that it BAAAAAANgs now... once again thanks for ya'lls help.

Quick Reply: Stereo shuts off when i go over 15 with the volume