Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Experts: Feedback on possible setup...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Experts: Feedback on possible setup...

Considering the following semi-budget system. Looking for someting that can battle the road/exhaust/t-top-out noise and that is simple and light... AND, of course, a significant improvement over stock SQ+SPL.

Head unit: Alpine CDA-9833
Front mains: MB Quart RCE216 Coax Component - Bi-Amped from HU.
Sub Amp: JL 250/1
Subwoofer: IDQ10D2V.2 (parallel for 4 ohms) in subthump stealthbox
!rear fills

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Sounds ok, but also consider doing four 6 1/2 fullranges off of the headunit. Just delete the rear 4's and rewire the sails to play fullrange.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Where are your subs going? Will you still have room to put the T-tops in the trunk or leave them at home. Otherwise, it seems that the system you picked out will do very nicely. I have about the same outputto my componet speakers, I use a separate amp for them and another for the subs. Add some dead skin product around the speakers before you put the panels back on, and anywhere you can to help with the virbrations.

what year camaro do you have?
Old 04-20-2004, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

It's a 2001 SS. The subthump stealthbox puts 1 10" in the cavity on the driver's side in the very back - so the T-tops can still be stowed. The stock subs, rear fill and amp would be yanked if I go with this system. I like the sound stage in front of me, so the rear fills won't be replaced.
I guess I really need some advice on the fronts. MB Quart says those coax components can be Bi-Amped at 4ohms+4ohms... so I could dedicate the front channels of the Alpine HU to the mids and the rears to the tweets. BTW, the HU is rated at 26 wattsx4 RMS. I'm thinking for the investment and ease of install, this might sound pretty good.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

FYI I’ve got a full system built for less than $1,000. It sounds like GM should have made it in the first place. I have a four channel (4 x 50) 200 watt AudioBahn AB amp system, with JBL GTO 6 1/2" components in the front, and 6 ½” Kicker Resolution (6RC) speakers working as mid-bass speakers with a passive crossover high-cut above 600 Hz. These 4 speaker sets run off of two of the amp’s channels. You could say its running at 2 ohms (but only below 600 Hz).

The head unit is the Pioneer sized for GM, a DEH-P47DH. The HU has nice internal crossovers, which, when combined with the crossovers in the amp, provide a total of two 24 db crossovers, each set at about 80 Hz.

The sub is a single JL Audio 10” JL 10W3v2, the dual voice coil 6 ohm model, wired in parallel, in a custom made by me 1 cubic foot MDF box. It runs at a little over 2 ohms, with about 140 watts bridged, from the other pair of channels of the AudioBahn AB amp. The box is in the wayback well on the rear passenger side.

It sounds great. Not insanely loud but plenty of clean sound. I could re-set the gain to make it a lot louder with a more distortion but I don’t.

In the front, I cut a piece of 1/4" mdf in the odd shape of the stock plastic speaker holder, but about 1/2" bigger all the way around. Trace it and saw it. The MDF slides behind the metal door skin because it is an odd shape. Then I mounted the stock speaker pod to the MDF with small bolts, about 6 or 7, silicone caulk, and then mounted the speaker to the sandwich of door and MDF. This helps a lot.