Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How Difficult is it to remove the HEad Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Difficult is it to remove the HEad Unit

I own a 2002 Firehawk with the monsoon system. I ordered the new alpine cda9835 last week and it should be in any day now. I was just wondering how difficult it is to remove the stock radio? any tips or things I whould do or be cautious of?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Its not hard at all. Just pull the cover off (I usually grab mine around the top near the vents above the tcs and fog lights, it just pulls straight off). Then I think its something like an 8 or 9 mm bolts that hold the stereo in place. I might be mistaken, but its just a few bolts and its all off.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Nothing to it really. First, use something thin and strong to pry away the trim panel that surrounds the radio and heater/AC controls. A flat screwdriver works well but be sure to cover the tip with a cloth or something to keep from scratching anything. There are four spring clips holding the panel on - two on each side (one centered next to the radio and the other near the bottom of the heater controls). The first time you take it off it will be quite tight and require a fair bit of muscle to pry loose. Just work your way around the edge so that you pry it off fairly evenly to avoid breaking the panel.

Once the panel is off you will see three hex-head screws - two on the left and one on the right of the radio. Use a 7mm socket to remove the screws. Now you can pull the radio out and unplug the wires from the back. There will be an antenna cable and two wire harnesses (one for the main radio and one that goes to the CD changer - whether you have a changer or not). Sometimes the wires will get hooked on the back of the support bracket preventing you from pulling the radio all the way out. If that happens, find someone with small hands and have them reach around the back of the radio to lift the wires over the obstruction. Also, sometimes you might have to disconnect the antenna cable before the radio will come all the way out since it has very little slack. Again, just have someone with small hands reach around the back of the radio and pull out the antenna cable from the bottom right of the back of the radio.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

kewl. thanks. Ill probably tackle this project this weekend. Sounds easy enough.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Nothing to it really. First, use something thin and strong to pry away the trim panel that surrounds the radio and heater/AC controls. A flat screwdriver works well but be sure to cover the tip with a cloth or something to keep from scratching anything. There are four spring clips holding the panel on - two on each side (one centered next to the radio and the other near the bottom of the heater controls). The first time you take it off it will be quite tight and require a fair bit of muscle to pry loose. Just work your way around the edge so that you pry it off fairly evenly to avoid breaking the panel.

Once the panel is off you will see three hex-head screws - two on the left and one on the right of the radio. Use a 7mm socket to remove the screws. Now you can pull the radio out and unplug the wires from the back. There will be an antenna cable and two wire harnesses (one for the main radio and one that goes to the CD changer - whether you have a changer or not). Sometimes the wires will get hooked on the back of the support bracket preventing you from pulling the radio all the way out. If that happens, find someone with small hands and have them reach around the back of the radio to lift the wires over the obstruction. Also, sometimes you might have to disconnect the antenna cable before the radio will come all the way out since it has very little slack. Again, just have someone with small hands reach around the back of the radio and pull out the antenna cable from the bottom right of the back of the radio.
I suck you da man WhiteBird

Quick Reply: How Difficult is it to remove the HEad Unit