Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge Bezal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Bezal

So I think I screwed up. I pulled out my gauge bezal to unsolder the leds for the abs delete and recircuit the board to operate my e-brake light with the handle. Problem is for some reason I pulled off the needles of the gauges. Is there anyway to correct the needle positioning or do I have to replace the bezal now. Any input would be helpful.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

fill up your gas tank, replace fuel gauge needle

use gps to track speed, replace speedo needle (in an area with no one around)

research what your approx. idol rpm is, replace tach needle while idoling

measure voltage with a multimeter while car is running, replace voltage needle

oil pressure and temp gauge, not sure without some proper measuring or knowing where they were after warmup at idle before they came off
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Easier yet, have someone send you a photo of their gauges with ignition off then duplicate those positions for your needles. They will be pretty close but you can make fine adjustments by checking with a GPS and tachometer, and possibly a voltmeter if that gauge is significantly out of adjustment. There's no real point checking the other gauges (well maybe fuel if it seems too far off) because they work basically like idiot lights - they are not accurate and they move to a fixed position near the center of the range and stay there unless something goes seriously wrong. When was the last time you saw your temp gauge move from center regardless of conditions?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The needles can be put back fairly easily...having something like HPTuners makes it very easy, because you can get the readouts from the OBD-II port and make the gauge needles match that data. That's how I always did it...I pulled the needles twice while I owned the car, and never had an issue getting them back in the right spot.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Gauge Bezal