Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dead battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery issue

I'm not sure where this should go, seems a little more complex than the general advice section. I'm having an issue with my 01 camaro going dead. I have an interstate battery in it(none of that red top nonsense). The car can sit over night 8-10 hours and it'll start ok. I left it sitting yesterday because of downpour rain. Went to start it today and dead. This has been going on for a couple months now but since the weather has been getting nicer I've been driving it more. Replaced the previous interstate that was in it with a new one. Went dead two days later, got it tested and replaced under warranty by interstate.

I did a current draw on the car. Pulled interior fuses and nothing changed. Meter reads between .300 and .400 amps. Unplugged the bcm and wouldn't ya know .002a. Switch over to Ma scale and its 2.2ma which is acceptable.

Car is basically no options. Crank windows(ftw), manual door locks, I swapped in the hatch release switch years ago never had an issue. Does have RAP for the radio, but the common bcm issue happened so I just cut the wire on my aftermarket radio harness and wired it to 12v switched so from what I determine that function is no longer in play. Radio and sound system is unhooked along with the Monsoon amp.

The vats went bad when I did my ls1 swap so I ohm'd out the key and made a resistor for it. Starts and runs when it starts.

With all that being said, can the bcm be bypassed in any way since a lot of the crap does not apply to the car?
Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Any ideas?

Last edited by ASpeedingbus; 06-04-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Are you sure the alt is charging the battery good
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Yes. 14.2 volts when running. Disconnect battery it'll stay at 12.5 all day

Quick Reply: Dead battery issue