Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car Audio N00B - No Bass, Popping

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Audio N00B - No Bass, Popping

First post! Wooo!

I have a 2000 Trans Am WS6 with the Monsoon system & CD changer in the back that I bought about a year ago. I get virtually no bass through the sound system through radio, tape deck, or bluetooth > radio. If I put on a song with especially punchy bass (or if I turn the low frequencies up on the EQ) the speakers make a god awful clipping / popping noise that physically hurts to hear with each bass hit. The sound reminds me of what you'd hear if you touched the end of a live guitar cable with the amp turned up loud.

The previous owner clearly had a sub in the hatch as there are still wires for power and input to an amp...but no amp or subs any more. Tracing the RCA cables that were intended for an amp, I found an "InstallEdge.com IEC AULOC" box underneath one of the side panels in the back.

Given the age of the vehicle, I'm not sure if all the speakers are just blown (they sound perfectly average to my ear, except for bass) or if the previous owner pulling the sub and amp out has somehow screwed up the wiring or something and I'm just not getting the bass output somehow. A friend of mine mentioned something about a crossover, but that's all greek to me.

Help a dummie out?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Pull off the speaker covers for your sail panel, and check the speakers. I used a razor to carefully cut through the fabric covers on the speaker. The rubber ring on my speaker was completely gone, causing the noise. So I just pulled them out so I could listen to music again.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Excellent, thanks for the input. You think that would cause bass to be totally gone as well, though? Or that would just explain the popping?

Maybe I'm dealing with multiple issues at once?

Again, many thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I doubt you'll get an answer. The OP hasn't been on here for three years... since about the time this thread was posted.

Quick Reply: Car Audio N00B - No Bass, Popping