Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is this a good setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Is this a good setup?

After upgrading my stock Monsoon speakers and HU, there's a huge improvement in overall quality. The stock Monsoon amp is plenty for my right now so the only thing left is to add some subs. I was originally going to get the stealth sub package from Kee Audio but then found out that subthump sells driver and passenger side stealth enclosures. So my plan now is:

- 2 x Stealth Sub enclosures
- 2 x JL Audio 10W3v3-4 10" Single 4 ohm W3v3 Series Subwoofer
- 1 x JX1000/1D amp

Doing this will cost me close to a thousand dollars, which will take me a while to save up being on a college budget. So I want to know if it's worth the money. So how much better is this setup compare to, say the $400 single sub offered by Kee Audio?

I do like some Hip Hop and R&B now and then, so I do want my system to pound hard when I want to. I also have T-Tops so I would much rather use the stealth subs than T-Top enclosures.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to give you a frame of reference I've got about 500 in the amp, subs (2 12's), box building materials and wiring needed for the setup in my car, I'm t-top as well but instead of paying for small sealed boxes I opted to use my back seat and custom build an enclosure.

there are better bang for your buck options out there instead of JL everything.

for the record, I payed less for BOTH my Planet Audio bb212d dual 4 ohm 12" subs then the best price I can find on 1 of those JL 10W3v3's
Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would still like to have my rear seats, which is why I opted for using the cubby holes. I would love to have 12's but it seems like I can only fit 10's in there.

After looking around some more, I agree those JL's are grossly overpriced. How about a Rockford Fosgate P3D4-10? One of the highest reviewed 10" sub on amazon and half the price of a JL.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I would still like to have my rear seats, which is why I opted for using the cubby holes. I would love to have 12's but it seems like I can only fit 10's in there.

After looking around some more, I agree those JL's are grossly overpriced. How about a Rockford Fosgate P3D4-10? One of the highest reviewed 10" sub on amazon and half the price of a JL.
You should actually go into some shops in your area and listen to some displays of the subs and find out what YOU like. Everyone has their own opinion on what is the best. I used to think Kicker was the best and then I had the chance to listen to a proper set up from JL and immediately knew that I liked JL more. That's just my opinion.

I personally have a 10 W0v3 in a fiberglass sealed cubby hole box on a JL slashv2 300/4 (using it as a 3 channel to power sub and front door speakers) and it has plenty of bass.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

theres also the matter of what type of music you listen to and how much bass your going for. I need to get around to redesigning my whole box (would be a brand new one) so I can increase the air space. sealed boxes give a more accurate "punchy" bass (think metal or DMX "party up") where as ported is generally better for the "boomy" vibrating type bass (think Nelly "Spida-man"). you'll get more bass for less money if you find space to do a proper sized ported enclosure, which is real hard to do in the back and still retain the t-top storage that was also a must for me, which is why I sacrificed the rear seat.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

creativecaraudio.net has JL audio 10W6v3 subs for $369 each. Refurbished but they come with 90 day warranty.
their refurbished amps are solid and reasonably priced.
I'm sure this will help you out
Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Teching In

adding 2x subs is going to drown out your monsoon mids and highs. One sub is plenty to add to your stock system. Instead of a second sub, add an aftermarket amp for your speakers, switch all your speakers to "high-pass" to cut off the bass. Subs and boxes add a lot of weight as well.

Quick Reply: Is this a good setup?