Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Oversensitive alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oversensitive alarm?

OK, seems the alarm on my 2K T/A has decided to become oversensitive. First incident happened a couple of days ago when my girlfriend turned on the headlights while we were washing the car and the alarm went off. Happened to me again yesterday when I was leaving her place... all I did was open the door and sit down. Yeah, it shuts off as soon as I place the key in the ignition, but still an annoying problem.

So is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the alarm, or something that I might need to clean?

Thanks! :-)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine used to always go port during thunderstorms. There is a little box with a **** on it under the passenger side panel where the amp and spare tire would be. I believe it's on the fender well. All the way counterclockwise is low.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The shock sensor is notorious for causing problems from water intrusion. If that's the case, it's not sensitivity... the sensor generally has to be unplugged and may or may not work again after drying out.

The alarm sounding from opening the door is normal function. You can't disable the alarm using the key in the door lock so if the alarm is armed and you don't turn it off with the remote key fob, of course it will sound when you open the door. That has nothing to do with the shock sensor.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DWake
Mine used to always go port during thunderstorms. There is a little box with a **** on it under the passenger side panel where the amp and spare tire would be. I believe it's on the fender well. All the way counterclockwise is low.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The shock sensor is notorious for causing problems from water intrusion. If that's the case, it's not sensitivity... the sensor generally has to be unplugged and may or may not work again after drying out.

The alarm sounding from opening the door is normal function. You can't disable the alarm using the key in the door lock so if the alarm is armed and you don't turn it off with the remote key fob, of course it will sound when you open the door. That has nothing to do with the shock sensor.
Only thing is that the car was never this sensitive before it went into storage. The interior has remained dry, but I do live in a humid environment. Since you mention it in both cases when the alarm went off there was a heavy fog outside. Maybe that's the solution then... unplug it and let it dry out...

Quick Reply: Oversensitive alarm?