Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Non Monsoon Budget Upgrade Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Non Monsoon Budget Upgrade Recommendations

Hey guys

I have a 97 z28 with the non monsoon system. Currently the sail panels speakers are blown and the fronts are starting to crackle, so Im gonna change them all. Im not a huge audiophile, I'm really just looking for something that is a small upgrade over stock and are real clear, not looking for large amounts of bass.

The reason for the thread is Ive read about all the weird stuff when it comes to monsoon like resistance and the amp, but Ive found limited info on the non monsoon setup.

I went to bestbuy and looked at some Pioneers, they sounded okay but I dont know my *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to radio stuff.

Id like to spend less than 70 bucks a pair for speakers, also need to know if wiring adapters will be needed.

Im also goinf to run the stock HU, probably gonna run a refurb from delcoman on ebay, cause mines shot and I want the aux in.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, stock non-monsoon is 6.5" coaxial 4 ohm in the front doors and 10 ohm in the sail panel, the reason for 10 ohm in the sail is to not pull the sound stage back, what I did on mine was I did a set of Polk Audio db6501 components in the front door and some cheap SSL CP64's in the sails, if you shop around this can be gotten for about 150 for all four. as with any speaker replacement unless you just really want to maintain the factory connector and are willing and able to find adapters for that end you will simply cut off the factory plug at the speaker and crimp standard terminals to the ends.

all this said I wouldn't waste money on a refurb factory radio, decent cheap radios can be gotten around 100 new and will be much better, regardless if you want clean speakers and BASS then you want a sub and for the HU to have a HPF to filter bass out of the regular door speakers.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a Pioneer head unit for my Impala, and liked it so much I got another one for my Camaro. Take a good look at the lower-end Pioneers, I think they're decent hu's and still have quite a few good features. I really like Rockford Fosgate speakers, I just got 4 of them for $50/pair. They have nice bass for 6.5/6.75 speakers, might be too much for you. Once you start using features like bluetooth, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

Last edited by DamonZ28; 11-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Non Monsoon Budget Upgrade Recommendations