Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front speaker wiring help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front speaker wiring help.

Hey Guys.

Try and bear with me I have zero idea about audio stuff, so this stuff is mostly gibberish to me.

I had to blown speakers in the sail panels, so I decided to order 4 replacement speakers (2 for the doors and 2 for the sail panel). i was under the impression I had a standard stereo, but today when I was installing my new ebony panels I found the amp in the spare area. So now Im really confused.

I have connectors for the 2 hatch speakers but the speakers are gone. Which is fine with me

I installed my sail panel speakers today, and they do work, they sound a little muffled though.

I pulled the door panels off and found that the front speakers have 4 wires running to them, and now Im really confused, I tried reading some of the stickies but it didnt help.

I didnt want to spend more than 60 dollars a pair on speakers, and I wasnt aware I had an amp so a friend recommended I find something with a high sensitivity and low power range in my price range.

I purchased 4 Sony XS-GT1638F speakers.

Now im confused as hell and have no idea how to wire these front ones and even if they will work.

i just wanted a small improvement in stock, when replacing my broken parts, I have no desire to change from the factory head unit or amp.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section contains all the answers to your questions.

Basically, you bought speakers that are not a good match to the Monsoon system. The door speakers are not single speakers like the ones you bought. They are actually separate components (the mid-range and the tweeter are separate speakers) mounted so that the tweeter is in the center of the mid. That's why you have two pairs of wires in each door. Similarly, the sail panel speakers are subwoofers from the factory - the amp sends only low frequency signal to those speakers so regular speakers will only produce bass and sound muffled (or even distorted).

Our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods have replacement speaker packages that are reasonably priced (not WalMart priced) and provide a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

Quick Reply: Front speaker wiring help.