Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How many speakers are there total in a 2000 z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many speakers are there total in a 2000 z28

I looked threw the sticky at the top of the page and i could not find the answer.

please dont kill the noob.

But how many total speakers are there in a 2000 z28 ?

4 or 6 ?

I am thinking of buying a component system and adding two more in the back with an after market head unit.

also do i need an adapter to make the 6.5 fit ? i have read mixed things. some say they fit fine , will others say they are to small.

thanks.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

depends on whether you have a monsoon system (more likely on a z28) or not. non monsoons are 4 coaxial 2-way 6.5" the front doors are 4 ohm and the sails are 10 ohm. on the monsoon there are 6 and they are different, the doors are 6.5" coaxially mounted components (separate wiring for tweeter and woofer for a total of 4 wires in each door) the sails are actually subs instead of 2-ways and are either a single 2 ohm or a dual 4 ohm (depending on bird or camaro) and then there are the full range hatch speakers, don't remember what size they are but they are only there if you have a monsoon system or someone really wanted to add them and bought those panels and wired them up.

I would suggest against adding any more speakers behind you it will just pull the sound to the back of the car and you won't like it. but what you install depends on whether you're monsoon or not.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

In an effort to keep improving the Monsoon FAQ sticky, I'm curious how the description of the speakers could be made any clearer...

Originally Posted by Monsoon FAQ
The speakers vary greatly between models. Firebird coupes have ten speaker elements mounted in six locations, Camaro coupes have eight speaker elements mounted in six locations, and convertibles of both lines have eight speaker elements mounted in four locations. The eight channel amp powers all speaker elements in the Camaro coupe and all convertibles. It powers all speakers except the tweeters in Firebird coupes.

Firebird coupes have component 6.5S (6.5" oversize) 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the doors, dual voice coil 6.5S (4-ohm + 4-ohm) subs mounted in the sail panels (beside the rear seat), and component 4" 4-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the hatch area. The two door mids and two hatch mids account for four of the eight channels of the amp while the DVC subs account for two channels each to make up the other four channels. This leaves the front and rear tweeters to be powered directly by the head unit.

Camaro coupes have component 6.5S 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the doors (they look like ordinary coax speakers but are actually wired as separate components), single voice coil 6.5S 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, and 4" 4-ohm full-range speakers in the hatch area. All eight elements are powered by the amp.

Convertibles have component 6.5S 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the doors. The schematics show 6.5S 2-ohm woofers and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the quarter panels beside the rear seats but inspection of the actual speakers has discovered both the woofers and tweeters are actually 4-ohm. All eight elements are powered by the amp.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I do have the monsoon package. It allready sounds like it comes from the back of the vehicle. I know a good aftermarket head unit can tune and change the way it sounds.

I was going to go with these products

(non-sponsor links removed)

those two with a head unit...

thats four speakers and two tweeters total.

what yall think ? or do i still need two more speakers beacause i have the monsoon

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-16-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: How many speakers are there total in a 2000 z28